August 2022 Update: Garmin released a Wheel Sensor firmware update (v4.0.0) that resolves this problem. Ride files will no longer be removed from a Wheel Sensor that was paired with a Garmin device during a ride. To check and update firmware see: How to update Wheel Sensor firmware. (Note: The firmware update does not fix the problem with the Garmin Connect mobile app deleting ride files from the sensor, see: Using the Wheel Sensor with both the Cannondale App and the Garmin Connect app.)
When the Cannondale Wheel Sensor is paired with current model Garmin devices (Edge, Forerunner, Fenix, etc.) for rides, the Garmin device software makes the ride files on the sensor unavailable for later syncing with the Cannondale app. It will appear like you never did the ride(s) in your Cannondale App ride history.
To avoid this problem and record your rides in the Cannondale App also, make sure you follow the setup guidelines below and that the Cannondale App on your phone is actively recording while you ride.
- Make sure the Speed Sensor is connected to the Garmin device by ANT+ (not Bluetooth)
- Make sure the Speed Sensor is NOT also paired with the Garmin Connect app on your phone per this article: https://cannondale.zendesk.com/hc/articles/1500001857022
- In phone Settings:
- Make sure the Cannondale App has location permission
- Make sure Location services are On
- Make sure the Cannondale App has Bluetooth access permission
- Make sure Bluetooth is On
- On Android, Location On and Location Permission are also required for the app to use Bluetooth. If they are off, the app will be unable to connect with the Speed Sensor.
- In some cases after a period of non-use, Android will revoke the app's Location Permissions. Be sure to double check.
Making sure the wheel sensor and Cannondale App are connected when starting a ride, so that the Cannondale App records the ride while it's happening, should work around the conflict with the Garmin device software. To do that, when you get ready to ride:
- Open the Cannondale App
- Tap "Start Ride" on the Ride screen
- At that point you can ride with the app running in the background and your phone locked if you wish. The app will keep recording the ride until you press "End".
Note: Some mobile phone users are in the habit of Force Quitting (swiping up from the app switcher) apps when closing them. Be aware that doing so will prevent the Cannondale App from recording your ride.
See also this related article: Using the Wheel Sensor with both the Cannondale App and the Garmin Connect app