If the Cannondale App indicates your Wheel Sensor has a firmware update available, we recommend you update. It includes several significant bug fixes and improvements.
How to Update Firmware
- Make sure you are using Cannondale app version 4.0.0 or newer (view in Settings cog > About)
- It will take 5-10 minutes
- Don't ride your bike during the update
- Your phone needs to remain near the wheel sensor with the app in the foreground
- Wait until your Wheel Sensor has been motionless for 10+ minutes before you begin, and do not spin the wheel until you are prompted
- To begin, go to Garage > Bike Details > Devices and tap the red Firmware Update button under the Wheel Sensor name
Syncing Rides After Firmware Update
If there were many un-synced rides stored on the Wheel Sensor before updating, it may take a few repeated wheel sensor syncs for it to catch up. Follow these steps:
- After a successful firmware update let the Wheel Sensor go to sleep (leave it motionless for 10 minutes)
- Tap the blue Sync button in Activity
- When prompted spin the wheel to wake up the Wheel Sensor
- Stay on the Activity screen until the Sync completes
- Repeat steps 2-4 if:
- The Last sensor sync time says "Unknown"
- Or, some expected rides are still missing (note: Garmin device and app users see also: Using the Cannondale Wheel Sensor with Garmin Products)
Firmware Update Failed
If the Wheel Sensor firmware update failed, wait at least 10 minutes for the sensor to sleep and then try again. Multiple attempts are sometimes required. Pay careful attention to:
- Reboot your phone before trying again
- Make sure no other devices or apps are connected to the Wheel Sensor
- Do not start spinning the wheel until prompted
- Stop the wheel from spinning as soon as the "Stop" sign appears (if the Wheel Sensor spins too long, the firmware update will fail)
- If the Wheel Sensor is not detected by the firmware update process, check its battery: How do I reset my Wheel Sensor or replace the battery?
- iOS only: A failed firmware update attempt may have added the Wheel Sensor to the iOS Bluetooth paired devices list. Remove that pairing before trying again:
- Go to iOS Settings > Bluetooth > My Devices list
- Find the Wheel Sensor ("SPD-BLE...")
- Tap the "i" icon to the right
- Select "Forget This Device"
- Android only: The Garmin firmware update routine can leave behind an Android silent notification from "Cannondale" and "Garmin Health Service". It is harmless and will disappear on its own after some time.
Garmin Bike Speed Sensor
If you are using a Garmin Bike Speed Sensor (see photo) with the Cannondale App, the app may indicate there is a firmware update available but the update will fail. Please refer to Garmin support and resources for when and how to update the firmware on your sensor.
Garmin Bike Speed Sensor (left), and Cannondale Wheel Sensor (right)
Still having trouble?
Please contact our support team via our online request form.